Monday, 16 July 2012

Bathroom Drip Art


I have been working on our hall bathroom for about a year and a half. It has been almost finished for the past year or so but needed new artwork and a mirror. I finally found a mirror I liked while I was away a couple weeks ago and decided I should make some art and get the room finished before our wedding company arrives. A friend had pinned this picture of drip art and, while it’s nothing like my finished product, it got me thinking…  

Here’s my fancy new bathroom art. I’m almost embarrassed by how easy it was but I love how it turned out.


The hardest part was the preparation. I took three pages of paper meant for acrylic paint and taped them to the cupboards. I found some paint colours I liked from my stash and mixed them with water. For the bottles that were almost empty I added the water directly in the bottle and threw it away when I was finished. For the few bottles that were quite full, I used travel containers to mix the paint and water. I used about three parts paint to one part water but didn’t actually measure. Make sure you shake well! I then covered the counter and microwave with tinfoil so I wouldn’t ruin them with paint drips.

Next was the easy part… Drip paint onto the paper. I added more in places I wanted longer streaks but really wasn’t too picky. Make sure you let it dry in between each colour.





At this point J walked in to the kitchen and looked at me like I was crazy. He didn’t see where I was going and, looking at these pictures, I can’t say I blame him.



I didn’t take pictures of the last colour but I added some more navy on top to make the yellow stand out less. At this point, the kids came over and I think they agreed with J that it wasn’t looking too great. Oh well, I could see my plan coming together.

I let them dry over night and then framed them. The frames I used are silver 8x10s with white 5x7 mats. As you can see, I’m no professional. I cut the top off, positioned it where I wanted, and then taped the top in place.


J then hung the three paintings in the bathroom and I love them! Finally my bathroom is finished. This would be when the rest of the family finally admitted that they looked nice. Success!


Shared on:
Take-A-Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid

4 comments:

  1. They look like expensive art! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea... will give it a try!
    Agree with the above comment.

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very cute and professional! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).