Friday, 22 June 2012

Lemon Cookies

Because I’m all about exercising and getting healthy lately I decided to make some cookies. Seems logical, right? Anyway, I love lemon and I love things that sound easy so this recipe for Nurse Susan’s Lemon Cookies from the Bearfoot Baker on Lil’ Luna looked right up my alley. To be honest, I first read about these on another blog but pinned them from the original source and can’t find the site that I first saw them on.*  I did tweak them a bit because I was too lazy to go to the store for more icing sugar and real lemon juice wanted them to be healthier.

Cookies:
1 box of lemon cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup of oil


Mix all three ingredients together and blend until smooth. Roll into balls (I made 30), place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and flatten with a glass (although I wish I had flattened less). Bake 7 – 8 minutes until starting to crack at 375 degrees.


Let cool partially on the pan and then place on a cooling rack. To make icing and clean up easier, I put some tinfoil on a cookie sheet and put the cooling racking on top.


Icing:
1 ¼ cups icing sugar
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon juice (from a bottle, not fresh)


Stir all the ingredients together in a bowl. Drizzle over the cookies once they are mostly cooled. In the original they made a much larger batch of icing and covered the cookie but I find they have plenty of icing with the amount I made. 


You can eat them warm but J and I liked them even better once they had been in the refrigerator. They have a light, tangy taste and are a perfect summer treat that I'll definitely make again.

*Update: It was Mandy at Sugar Bee Crafts who blogged about the cookies. She ran out of lemon and had to get creative. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out.

Shared on:
The Cure for the Common Monday @ Lines Across
Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday @ Delightful Order
The Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid

5 comments:

  1. ooooooo looks yummy! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sounds like a perfect treat on a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I would love these!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).