Sunday, 1 April 2012

Camera Strap Cover

Guess what I got? A NEW CAMERA!!! Sorry to shout at you but I’m really excited. You see, my old camera died a slow and painful death. It served me well for many years and many, many pictures but the insides started falling out. I’ve always been a Nikon girl and have never ventured out of point and shoot but decided to be brave. My new camera is a Canon Poweshot G12. It’s still a point and shoot but has a lot of different settings and things I can play with. So far, I’m loving it!

However, my new camera needed to be prettied up. Last night I made a strap cover. I have to be honest - my instructions won’t be great. It was quite a mess and I figured it out as I went but I’m pleased with the end result. It’s bright and colourful and girly – very not me – but it makes me smile.

First I cut a strip of fabric the length of my strap and a little over double the width. This was where I made my first mistake. I cut the length to the ends of the leather part of the strap (because that’s what it looked like in all the pictures on etsy). I should have cut it to where the strap joins the camera. You’ll see why later.

I ironed the piece of fabric in half and about where I wanted the seams to be. I did this just to have a guide when sewing on my flowers.

Next I made some flowers to decorate my strap. I cut out three different size circles and sewed around the outside, turning the edges under as I went. Once I’d gone all the way around I pulled the thread tight and sewed a few stitches through the center to hold it all in place. I then sewed the three of them on my strap.

After the flowers were secured, I turned in the short ends and hemmed them so I would have a nice finished edge.

Then I folded the fabric in half with the right sides together and pinned it in place. It was a challenge to pin around the flowers but I squished them together and made it work.

I sewed the long seam that I had pinned.

Next, I turned it right side out with the help of a knitting needle and ironed it flat. Done… or so I thought. When I put it on my strap and put it around my neck, it was way too short. The flowers were by my neck, there was lots of black strap showing, and it looked ridiculous.

I didn’t want to start over so I followed my steps and made another tube. I then hand stitched the new strap to the old strap, being careful not to sew the two sides together because I needed to be able to slide my strap through. This left me with a big ugly join.

To hide the join, I made another flower and sewed it in place. From the front you can’t tell it was a fix and the back is against my neck so that’s not a concern.

I slid the original camera strap in place and attached it to my camera. I was almost loving it but something felt off. The ends of the strap cover looked too loose. I sewed around the bottom of each side and pulled it tight, in order to make it look more finished.

It was a long, frustrating and painful process but the end result looks good and definitely fancies up my fun new camera. Now to get out a take lots of pictures…

Shared on:

Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible
Finished It Friday @ The Spunky Diva


  1. Oooh I love!!!! I got a new camera last month too and I've been dying to make a strap but didnt know where to start - yay now you have inspired me xx Nat

  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I cannot wait to make one!!! I just bought a camera and think it deserves a pretty strap. Thanks so much for sharing!! Happy Tuesday


  3. I'm loving your camera strap! It adds a little color and some style to it:)

  4. So cute ... I love a good camera strap!

  5. This is such a great project! I hope you will come link it up at the Pinworthy Project Link Party going on now over on my blog, Just Us Four.


Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).