Friday, 16 March 2012

Remote Caddy

It’s been a busy week (report cards make me crazy) so I wanted to tackle a fairly simple project. I decided it would be a good time to make a remote caddy for my table. This craft is based on a remote caddy by Gen at Color Me Domestic.

My finished remote caddy

Supplies:
Wooden box
Paint and sponge
Scrapbook paper
Scissors
Pencil
Modge Podge and sponge
Fondue skewer (yep, seriously)
Adhesive felt circles

First I painted the edges of my box. I basically painted anywhere that wouldn’t be covered in paper. I wasn’t sure what paper I was going to use so I went with a simple beige.


 Next, I worked on cutting the paper. To do this, I traced each side, cut the paper, and then continued to trim until I got it to the right size. It took a bit of patience (especially since my dollar store box isn’t symmetrical) but I eventually got all the pieces cut out.

Next, I covered the back of the paper and the box in Modge Podge and attached the paper. I used a fondue skewer to push down the edges inside the box that I couldn’t reach with my little fingers.


After the Modge Podge dried, I put a coat of it on top of the paper.This would be the stage during which I tipped over the bottle of Modge Podge that was sitting on my coffee table and it went all over my living room carpet. Just a little bit of advice – if you wipe it up right away and then scrub it with OxyClean it doesn’t leave a trace. I was pleasantly surprised!


Finally I added some adhesive circles to the bottom to keep it from scratching my table and it was finished.


I really like that all my necessities are kept neat and organized, while still being easily accessible. It’s sitting on the table beside me as I write this, holding the remote, a notepad, a pen, hand sanitizer, and a lip chap. Really, what more could I possibly need?

Shared on:
Finished It Friday at The Spunky Diva
Saturday Seven Party at Positively Splendid
Take-A-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts






 



3 comments:

  1. What a great project. I just love those scrapbook papers you used! Thanks for linking up with FiF. Have a fabulous weekend!
    ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours turned out so cute too! Love the paper you chose, this is more my style and colors than the ones I made, actually. Thank you for pointing me to your post! (And I'm working on the blog tag post you tagged me for, it's just I don't have internet at home at the moment so my time is mostly just spent publishing my premade posts, answering emails and linking to parties when I do have internet. Haven't forgotten about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute - I just recently did something similar - please pop over and visit...
    http://northshoredays.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/stationary-orgainiser.html

    Im also a new follower!
    Take care
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).