Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Refinished Dresser

It’s no secret that I love spray paint, and I think I have a new favorite spray painted project – my living room dresser. When you first come up the stairs into my living room, you used to be greeted by a lovely sofa table (which I made, of course) that held a few plants, photos, keys, etc. Lately I’ve been craving more storage in my living room and decided that perhaps the sofa table was a lost storage opportunity. 


If I replaced the sofa table with a dresser, we would still have somewhere to drop our keys but also drawers to store belongings. With that said, buying a new dresser wasn’t in the budget. I managed to find a gem from a coworker that cost me $50. Definitely not the look I wanted, but I could see the potential.


J and I brought it home, put it in the basement, and I got to work. First I took off all the hardware, used wood filler to plug the holes, and sanded everything except the inside that you don’t see. Next I gave it a good wiping with a wet rag to get rid of all the dust and dried it with another rag. Once it was clean, I started painting. It took 4 coats of paint and primer in one to completely cover all the surfaces. Finally, I attached my new hardware, brought it upstairs and put it all together.

Holes filled
 
In the process of sanding

The drawers being painted


Painting the dresser
I didn't worry about the parts you don't see when the dresser's in use.

I'm so pleased with this for several reasons. First, it cost me less than $100 dollars to make. I love a good bargain. Second, it’s the largest piece I’ve ever made. Third, I love that we now have somewhere to store all out CDs and DVDs in the living room.


The top is going to be my *fake* mantel which will get decorated for the seasons, which is something else I wanted. If you want to see it partially decorated, check it out in my Painted Eggs post.

On a separate note, guess what I did today… I opened my own etsy shop. I’m really new and don’t really know what I’m doing but I’ve listed 3 items so far (bird nest pendants). I don’t expect to get rich off it (honestly I’ll be ecstatic if anything sells) but I wanted to give it a try. If you want to check it out, click here.

Shared on:

Finished It Friday @ The Spunky Diva
Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid
Take-A-Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great redo. I am sure that it is already proved worth it's money. Also... congrats on opening the Etsy Shop. I like having a way for people to buy my stuff if they want outside of craft fairs, and have been pleasently surprised at how much I have sold. Have a wonderful weekend!
    ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

    ReplyDelete
  2. stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to leave you a little blog luv! Def enjoyed this post def like the updated touches you made!! new follower :-)

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).