Saturday, 3 March 2012

Pot of Shamrocks

I’ve been thinking about St. Patrick’s Day lately and trying to come up with some sort of decoration to make. I wanted something similar in size to my Valentine’s crafts – big enough to be intentional but small enough to be subtle. I found an idea for a St. Patrick’s Day centerpiece on Pinterest, and following it to Lulu’s Tiles. I tweaked it a little and made my own Shamrock centerpiece, which in my case is a flower pot.

Supplies I used:
Green flower pot
Foam for flower arrangements
Skewers
White paint and brush
Shamrock stencil (copied from the internet)
Scrapbook paper
Scissors
Modge Podge and brush
Crinkled paper

First I painted my skewers white. I stuck them into the foam so they could dry. I used craft paint and it dried super quickly.


Next I prepared my flower pot (which I didn’t even have to paint – score!) by cutting the foam to the right size and jamming it in place.


After that I googled “clover” and found an image I liked. I copied it into a word document so I could change the size, traced it from my screen, and cut it out to make a stencil. I did this in two different sizes.

I used the stencils to cut two shamrocks of each pattern (making sure I cut them right sides together, so when I put the pen marks on the inside I would see the nice side of my paper.


Once all my shamrocks were cut out I covered them in Modge Podge and stuck them together, with the skewers in the middle. Again, I stuck them in the foam so they could dry.


After they were dry, I arranged them (only to be redone later) and went to dig out the shredder. My plan was to shred a sheet or two of paper and use that to cover the foam. While I was in the basement getting the shredder, I remembered I had saved some crinkled paper from a Christmas gift. I tried it out and I like the look so I used that instead.


At this point I thought I was done, but something looked off. I couldn’t put my finger on it and was going to ignore it… until J commented it didn't look finished. Hmm…


I took the skewers out and cracked them off at different lengths. I also left the crinkle paper more messy and sticking out of the pot. In my opinion, it looks much better but is still lacking something. I’m thinking maybe a ribbon but am open to suggestions.



Shared on:

Someday Crafts
Positively Splendid


2 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! The only decorating I am doing for St. Patty's day is Lucky Charms cereal for breakfast! ha! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute--simple and sweet! I hope you'll link up to my St. Patty's Day Project Parade.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/03/st-pattys-day-project-parade-linky.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).