Wednesday, 22 February 2012

How To Pass an 8.5 Hour Flight (Knitted Ruffle Scarf)

I’ve been away for the last few days. I actually flew back home to Newfoundland to surprise my family (with the help of my mama) and finally meet my adorable nephew who turned one last month. While there I was much too busy playing blocks, reading stories and watching the birds to do much crafting. However, while visiting my Aunt she showed me a different kind of wool she’s been using to knit ruffled scarves. Of course I wanted to try so I headed to the wool store and bought myself two balls of yarn.


Step 1: Open and stretch the yarn.


Step 2: Cast on 9 stitches, using the top side of the yarn, on size 6 needles. The amount of stitches or size of needles could be easily adjusted. In between each stitch leave about 1 inch of yarn. This creates the ruffle.


Step 3: Knit. I find I’m slower with this wool than with normal wool but I’m also not much of a knitter.


That’s as far as I’ve gotten. You see, I was knitting away the 8.5 hour flight and my first ball of yarn ran out. When I went to get out the second ball to finish the scarf, I remembered I left it on top of the piano at my parent’s house. Of all the things to forget…


Step 4: Cast off like you would with normal yarn. When you get to the last stitch, thread the yarn all the way through the last stitch and tie it in a knot. Seeing as I haven’t done step 4, I obviously don’t have a picture. Instead, here’s picture of my little man and I at the park. You can't tell but he's looking at the birds (ducks). Isn’t he just perfect?!?!


Shared on:

1 comment:

  1. I have tried 3 times to start a scarf with similar yarn but have not been sucessful. It drives me nuts trying to knit and keep the yarn pulled out. Good job, I may try it again after seeing yours, Karen in Nebo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).