Supplies I used:
Craft foam (I used the kind with the sticky back but glue would also work)
The first thing I had to do was decide on a vase. I had an old glass one I didn’t really like so I decided to use that. To make it look more festive (and to hide the ugliness) I spray painted it red.
Next I had to find branches. Believe it or not, this was the most difficult part. About a week ago we were the warmest place in Canada, the skies were blue and the ground was bare. Over the week that changed drastically. We have had wind chills in the -40s (Celsius, which is also -40 Fahrenheit) every day this week. Today it warmed up to a balmy -25 (-13 Fahrenheit) with wind chill. Seeing as I had been waiting all week, I decided to take advantage of the warm weather to go hunt for branches. I broke the branches to the length I wanted and placed them in the vase.
After I was happy with the branches I cut out my foam hearts. I used the foam that is sticky on one side so I put two pieces together with the sticky sides toward the middle (but still covered so they didn’t stick together) and cut hearts. I made a variety of colours to blend with my other decoration.
Next I peeled the backing off, placed thread between the two sides, and then stuck them together. I actually tried using ribbon first but it didn’t stay in place on the branches so I switched and found the thread worked much better.
Here's the finished product. For now it's on a sofa table (which I built myself) at the top of the stairs when you come in our house, along with a photo from the vacation during which J and I got engaged.* It seems fitting that they should go together.
*Sorry for the blacked out pictures. J wouldn't be too happy with his picture being posted here and I'm not skilled enough to black it our discretely.