Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Photo Blocks

Tomorrow it’s back to the real world. School starts up again and I go back to spending my days with charming, hormonal teenagers. In light of that, I thought I’d end the holidays with another project. After this, I suspect my posts will become less frequent as, during the school year, I have less time to craft. My goal is to continue to post at least once a week, although I'm not sure how realistic that is.

This project came from Today’s Fabulous Finds. I modified it a little bit but the main idea is the same.

What I used:
8x8x2 Wooden blocks
Electric sander
Spray paint (black and white)
Scrapbook paper
Modge Podge and brush
Ink and sponge
Ribbon
Binder clips
Glue Gun
Accessories (buttons, stickers, etc.)

The first step was to cut the wood down to size. Rather than use a handsaw J took them to his work and cut the blocks for me. The smallest board I could buy at Home Hardware was 8 feet long so it actually made 12 blocks. I have a feeling I’ll be using some of these as gifts. Once the blocks were cut I used my favorite tool – an electric sander – to smooth the edges.


Next I spray painted the blocks, some black and some white. I didn’t want to prime so I used a two in one spray paint. I was careful to cover the edges and one of the large sides. The other large side is being covered so I didn’t worry about it.


Once the paint was dry, I cut two different sheets of scrapbook paper to fit just inside each of the block.


I then Modge Podged the back of the paper and placed it on the blocks. Once they had dried, I covered the front in Modge Podge as well.


The next step was inking the edges. I used a sponge and black ink to make the edges a little less perfect. I don't have a picture of this step. :(

To hide the join between the two papers I used ribbon which I attached with my glue gun. I also used the ribbon and the glue gun to attach the binder clips on the top. I know I'm supposed to use low temp for ribbon and fabric but because I'm a rebel I used high temp and it worked fine.



Finally, I decorated the blocks. I didn't want to add too much so on one I used buttons, on another I used a sticker and on the third I used a cutout flower.


So far I've only put a picture in one of my finished blocks and I have to tell you about it. The picture is one I took of my dog Paquita right before we had her put down this summer. It was a very unexpected and extremely difficult thing to do and I miss her dearly. I got her when I was in university so she had been through a lot with me. Anyway, the sticker says "You make my life happy" so it seemed like the perfect way to display her photo.

Shared on:

The Terpblog

  

3 comments:

  1. You're blocks look so nice! I really like how you put the smaller paper on top. Thanks for the link to my post. :)

    Also, I'm so sorry about your dog, what a nice picture to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, Quita!! Lovely blocks, lovely memorial. I may just have to try making these myself!

    Jen and the mostly black dog crew

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hosting a craft night project link party. I would love it if you would share your tutorial! http://theterpblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/craft-night-just-do-it-january.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).