Friday, 30 December 2011

New Year, New Art Work

Happy New Year! I hope you’re all enjoying the end of 2011 and that 2012 is even better than the past year. To celebrate the new year, I decided I wanted to make some new art. The painting over my couch is fine but I made it a few years ago, it was one of my first projects, and I’m sick of it.

The painting currently above the couch

To replace it, I decided to make my own version of Painted Wall Art for Non Artists from Two Girls Being Crafty.

Things I used:
Paper (you could use a canvas but I wanted something I could frame)
Painters tape (and ruler to get it straight)
Brown paint marker
Various acrylic paints
Paint tray
Round sponge brushes (and a pencil eraser for the tiny circles)

My supplies, minus the paint tray and eraser

First I prepared my paper by making a border with tape. If I had my time back, I would have measured it to fit in a standard size frame but I didn’t think of that until it was too late.

The branches partly painted

Next I used a brown paint marker to draw my trees. This could be done with a paintbrush but my hand isn't that steady. You can add as many branches as you want and make them as messy as you like. Given my neurotic personality, I didn’t want it to be too chaotic.

My branches

After the branches were dry I started adding circles. I’d add a few, stand back and look, add a few more, and so on. I kept going until I was happy with the results.

About half way through adding dots

Finally I removed the tape. The end. I was very intimidated by this project before I started it and was pleasantly surprised by how simply it was to make and I’m really pleased with the results.

The finished product

I wasn’t going to post this until I get it back framed. It's currently at Michaels - yea for 70% off custom framing - and should be ready in a few weeks. Anyway, I posted a picture on Facebook and a friend wants to make one so I figured I might as well blog about it. I’ll post a photo of the framed piece once I’ve picked it up and hung it over the couch.

Shared on:
   Some Good Times  

4 comments:

  1. This tree art is so cute! I hope you will share it at my new party, Some Good Stuff: http://some-good-times.blogspot.com/2012/01/some-good-stuff-1.html

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new art, it's so fun! Thanks for your comment on my Favorites of 2011 post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be pleased...it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).