Monday, 26 December 2011

Lonely Socks Board

I have a lovely laundry room, minus the room part. You see, the laundry space in our house is in the unfinished basement. Even though we don’t have walls, I have set up my little laundry haven that makes me happy - well, as happy as a person can be doing laundry.



See, for not being an actual room isn’t it pretty great? It has everything I need close at hand. You can’t see it in the picture but I also have a drying rack hung from the ceiling so I don’t have to use the dryer very often. Anyway, I saw a missing sock sign on Pinterest and thought it would be a cute addition to my non-walls. The one pictured was made by Kristy at illgetyoumypretties. I probably should have looked at her instructions before making my own…

Supplies I used:
Wooden square
Spray paint
Letters – traced on plain paper using pencil from my computer
Acrylic paint marker
Acrylic paint and paint brush
Circle stencils (and an eraser for the really small ones)
Wooden clothespins
Glue gun
Screws and string

I didn’t take pictures in the beginning but I bought a square piece of wood and some spray paint. I put a couple coats of paint on the board.

Next up was the wording. Being an English teacher, I got hung up on the “missing” part. If I have the socks, they’re not missing. I know it’s bizarre but I pondered for a while and decided my socks would be lonely.


I don’t have a fancy letter cutter of any sort and didn’t want to freehand it so I traced the words from my computer onto paper. I then placed the paper over the board and traced the outline, pushing hard enough with a pencil to make an indentation.



I then traced the letters using an acrylic Sharpie paint marker. I had never used one before and was unsure about it at first but once I got the hang of it, it was super easy to use. I had to go over the letters twice to get full coverage.


Next I added a few circles using circle stencils, my green paint marker and black paint with a paintbrush.



That’s where the project stalled for a few days. I was not braving the Christmas crowds just to get clothespins. I finally got some today (the stepkids wore me down and I took them to spend their Christmas money) and decorated them using the same paint as the letters and circles. To make the circles with the black paint I simply dipped a pencil eraser in the paint. It was much easier than trying to do them freehand.



After the pins were dried, I used a glue gun to attach them to the board.



For the final step, I just put a couple screws in the back and used string to mount it. I know there are a lot of pictures in this post but I’m super proud of this project. I love how it turned out and think it looks great hanging on a non-wall in the laundry room.

Shared on:
  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by My Pretties. I think your board turned out fantastic! You did a great job. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute project! You did a great job! I love your laundry area...it does have everything you need! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).