Thursday, 29 December 2011

Fabric, Fabric and More Fabric

Isn’t it funny how changing one thing can have a domino effect? That’s what has been happening with our bedroom. You see, a lot of the furniture J and I have are pieces that came to the relationship with us. In our bedroom the bed was mine from university, the armoire was from my childhood bedroom, my nightstand is an old one from a friend, J doesn’t have a nightstand and the TV stand is from his bachelor pad. It’s kind of a hodgepodge and we’ve lived with it for a few years and it has been fine.

A few months ago, I decided I wanted a headboard. I found this plan for a handmade headboard at Deep Thoughts by Cynthia and I really liked it, especially the bright colour. I convinced J we should build one so we looked through the plans and made a trip to the Home Hardware. The next day I came home from work and found J had it almost done. Obviously I don’t have any pictures of the process. Once it was built, I painted it “Blind Date”, also from Home Hardware. Purple is my favorite colour and painting the headboard purple was a compromise for both of is – I had to agree to not paint the walls purple and J had agree to not complain about having a purple bed.


Enter the domino effect. Our bedding, which was a different shade of purple (and beige) didn’t match so I had to find a new duvet cover. I was going to make one but found one I liked for a really good price. Changing the bedding meant I needed to make some new pillows, which is where this post was intended to start. I have been looking for months for fabric that would tie the colour of the headboard with the bedding and have not been able to find anything… until yesterday.


I found a fabric store about an hour away from home that serves a large Mennonite and Hutterite clientele. It had the most beautiful fabric (although not a lot of cotton) and I went a little crazy. I’ve got some plans for the fabric. Obviously, I want to make some pillows and cover some lamps. The rest, well, I’ll just have to see what happens. Now I feel like we need new furniture that goes with the rest of the room… and maybe to paint the walls… oh, domino effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).